Friday, January 13, 2006

Meme for me!

So, the charming and talented diane kristine (the artist formally known as deekay) tagged me with a meme. I wasn't even entirely sure what one was, but I do everything she tells me to do, so here goes.

What was your earliest film-related memory?
Let's Scare Jessica to Death, though I wish it was a happier, Muppet-style movie. I've heard that this isn't much of a scary movie at all and, in fact, tends to be unintentionally hilarious. I'll never know for sure as I will never see this movie again.

I was around four or five, and had an astonishingly incompetent & irresponsible babysitter who plopped me in front of the television & proceeded to talk with her boyfriend for hours. It was the ABC Saturday Night movie, and I couldn't hear the theme song ever again without a shiver running down my spine. I was pathetically grateful when they finally changed it some years ago. I don't even remember much from the movie except for the images of an empty rocking chair & a cloudy beach. I do remember the absolute terror I felt as I cried and shook with fear. And I remember my parents coming home, finding me awake and crying on the couch, then discovering my one year-old brother, asleep on the kitchen floor wearing nothing but a dirty diaper. I'm sure that, in the end, the most horrifying experience that night was the babysitter's.

Name two favorite lines from movies
I'm rebelling and including four favorite lines. I'm such a cool maverick, I make James Dean look like a cowering rule-follower.

"Do you ever get the mean reds? The blues are because you're getting fat or because it's been raining too long. You're just sad, that's all. The mean reds are horrible. Suddenly you're afraid and you don't know what you're afraid of. Do you ever get that feeling?" - Breakfast at Tiffany's

"Apes don't read philosophy."
"Yes they do, Otto. They just don't understand it." - A Fish Called Wanda

"What's the point of fighting for his right to have babies, when he can't have babies?"
"It is symbolic of our struggle against oppression."
"It's symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Life of Brian

"What are you playing at?"
"Words. Words. They're all we have to go on." - Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead

Three jobs you'd do if you could not work in "The Biz"
I love the idea that there's a hope in hell of me ever working in "The Biz." Let's see...
  1. I've always secretly longed to be a marine biologist.
  2. Trashy romance novelist (only to fund my true profession of tennis tournament groupie)
  3. International spy
Name four jobs you have actually held outside The Industry
  1. Well, there's my current job: Application & implementation manager at a computer software company (who would want a glamorous job in "The Biz" when one could do this?!?)
  2. Waitress at Denny's in Miami: definitely one of the highpoints of past jobs. Oh yeah.
  3. Manager of a garden center: Playing in dirt with flowers and trees and shrubs while wearing grubby clothes and flip flops. I enjoyed that job to a ridiculous degree.
  4. Copy editor at an advertising agency: if it hadn't been for the fact that all of my coworkers were raving lunatic asses, it could have been fun.
Three book authors I like
Three? Surely this is a typo. I'll do my best, though.
  1. Jane Austen
  2. Julian Barnes
  3. Dorothy Sayers (I just discovered her and am in the first flush of infatuated passion)
  4. I have to include Milan Kundera
  5. Oh, and Audrey Niffenegger
So, can I expect a loud knock on my door from the meme police? Perhaps in the middle of the night?

Name two movies you would like to remake or properties you'd like to adapt
  1. Movie I'd like to remake: Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. After all of Branagh's pompous posturing about how he was finally going to adapt the real book and pay homage to Mary Shelley's vision, he cheapened the story as much, and in some ways more, than anyone who came before him. As it's near the top of my list of all-time favorite books, and I think it would make a fantastic movie, I want to do it.
  2. Property I'd like to adopt: Strong Poison by Dorothy Sayers. I just read this a few weeks ago & kept thinking how wonderful a movie it would make.
Name one screenwriter you think is underrated
Joss Whedon. So underrated that it's become almost absurdly parodic. One of the best screenwriters we've had in ages, and completely ignored and snubbed. It's a travesty & thinking about it raises my blood pressure.

4 Comments:

Blogger Diane Kristine said...

Yay, thanks for playing, crazy girl! And yes, you are in the Meme Hall of Shame for not playing by the rules. I'd think that would make you proud, though.

Oh, and it's not Katherine, it's Kristine, loser. But whatever ... you've called me worse.

9:34 PM  
Blogger Britomart said...

I don't know what you're talking about, other crazy girl. It says diane kristine. ::whistles innocently::

And wheee! I'm in the Meme Hall of Fame! I can't wait to tell my family and friends.

9:46 PM  
Blogger Fun Joel said...

Thanks for participating! Notice, however, that Diane said the Meme Hall of SHAME, not Fame! ;-)

"Where's the fetus going to gestate? You gonna keep it in a box?!"

8:53 PM  
Blogger bibliosylph said...

We are related. My earliest movie memory is Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. Also not the best viewing material for a 4 year-old.

10:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home